Disable Password Prompt at Startup in Windows XP

Tagged with: , , , , , ,

Note: This post may be wrong. I’m getting a lot of complaints that this doesn’t work. See the Microsoft page on how to do this here

Disabling startup login prompt for password

• Click Start and Run
  • Type “Control Userpasswords2″ and press enter.
  • Uncheck the box for “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.”
  • Click Apply and Ok.

Please read the comments before following these steps – some comments have reported that this fix is causing a few issues.

17 Responses to “Disable Password Prompt at Startup in Windows XP

• 1
    pam
    September 7th, 2007 23:52

This does not work in my case. On restart I not only get the password screen back but also a message telling me the system could not log me on. I can only get out of this by entering my name again and clicking OK

• 2
    melanie
    December 27th, 2007 05:47

this method does not work. i have xp professional and the option “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.” was only on my computer when I first installed windows. after i checked the box, the option disappeared and now I must enter a password every time. this blows.

• 3
    Chris
    January 9th, 2008 23:08

I’ve used it many times. XP Home and Pro. Worked every time. Did you disable the Welcome screen first? More than likely that is your problem.

• 4
    Suan
    March 15th, 2008 20:46

This works in the sense that I don’t have to enter a password but I am logged in as the “Administrator” user instead of as my usual user. How do I login as my usual user without having to enter a password during STARTUP, even though the account IS password-protected? Thanks.

• 5
    Pool Shark
    April 4th, 2008 23:54

Worked great for me…thanks for the help.

• 6
    Mahdi
    July 21st, 2008 16:41

This Your Help was very Good and I thank You.

• 7
    michael
    August 21st, 2008 18:07

hi i work out how get old user setting back up, when you make new user account, iam running xp pro and i could not load my user password at start up it driving me nuts so i try everything you can think of, untill i when to system tools and program call [backup] it made back up of the old user setting in administrator folder the one you cannot get in, run the program made a back up to 2nd hd when it finish backing up, i when back to program and copy my folder to my new user folder over right all and then restart the pc and all is well again, it took like 1hour to do, it save me reformatting pc.

• 8
    clouz
    October 7th, 2008 23:40

I’m having the same problem with Suan… damn it!!!

• 9
    tsetso
    November 12th, 2008 21:22

when i turn on my PC it wants to enter name and pass,and i have to press enter.i wanna turn this off(to enter directly in window)(my windows is ex)

• 10
    Sam Thelin
    February 23rd, 2009 00:10

This advice can be a disaster. I received the same screen asking for a password that never existed. I had to start in F8 (SafeMode) and then go in and undo the unchecked box. The “welcome Screen” must also be activated (this being important) for it to have ever worked.

It looks like the original poster knew just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to tell all the necessary details :(

• 11
    DaveM
    June 2nd, 2010 10:15

For anyone still searching this…

The advice at the top of the page is poor. It may or may not work depending on your system settings.

However the advice in the link directly above is also inappropriate, unnecessarily long and laborious, if all you want to do is just stop having to enter your password on boot-up. In Windows XP you simply adjust the settings in Control Panel -> User Accounts.

A simple explanation is in this official article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q282866/

*N.B. in User Accounts “Use the Welcome Screen for fast and easy logon” as referred to in the article now just says “Use the Welcome Screen” (on my WinXP service pack 3 at least), but ticking the box next to it as advised still worked for me.

• 12
    lucky
    September 28th, 2011 13:35

it works for sure…… but thr shud’t b more than 1 user n it shud’t b password protected………. 1st u hv to remove all d oth user accounts n password………..

thank u Binny V A..

• 13
    davif
    October 22nd, 2011 17:33

I can’t remember password after turning on comp it has been in storage for so long I haven’t used it for a while I started it in safe mode but don’t know administrator password how do I get round this I don’t want to buy new comp

• 14
    Shaik Abdulla
    February 17th, 2012 19:43

I used Win Xp Service pack 2.i unfortunately forgot my Password when xp is startup(XP Booting) how to disable this option because i put the desktop my project important file please any body help me please reply this mail abdullaedp@gmail.com

• 15
    Khalid mehmood
    September 14th, 2012 03:22

thank u sooooooooooooo much for the help i was suffering with this problem from 2 months to enable password prompt on startup………:)

• 16
    Jake
    October 16th, 2012 00:33

these instructions are for disabling the log-in password, not the start-up password…

• 17
    Alex/Boston
    January 10th, 2013 22:56

Worked great for me…thanks for the help.